Can I maintain and trade US brokerage account from India? I already have scottrade but going back to India.?

Answers:0   |   LastUpdateAt:2012-09-11 05:56:04  

Asked at 2012-09-11 05:56:04
Dear Friends ,
MedlinePlus I'm in the U.S. with a work visa and am using Scottrade stock trading . I am planning to go back to my country and I want to keep my business and want to keep the account from India . I can ? Able to do from India . MedlinePlus MedlinePlus Appreciate the responses . Please advice . MedlinePlus MedlinePlus Thank you.
Answer1ButtercupAnswered at 2012-08-03 05:45:03
If you think the cost should have been covered by insurance, then you need to know if the claim is billed each time the insurance company. The collection agency is not likely to help you investigate this - do not really care one way or another, if money is owed by the insurance company
Is likely to contact the service provider and the insurance company. Find out if the claim was ever even sent to your insurance company at the time. (And the fact that the policy of his now ex-husband is irrelevant ... if you had coverage under the policy services on the date the services were provided, then the same should be covered.)

If the claim was not announced, you need to ensure that the insurer receives a copy of the invoice. (And hopefully not out of range of presentation ... more often, there are 12 months to file a claim under an insurance policy, but policies may have different filing limits. When you contact your insurance company I ask what is the timely filing limit is on the policy was in force at the time of services.)

* If the claim is not processed billed * for some reason you need to find out why. Were there problems in coding the bill that the supplier should be corrected and resubmitted? Does your insurance company rejected the claim by mistake for some other reason? Was the service something that was not actually covered under this policy? Once you figure that out, then you can proceed from there.

The insurance company can help you try to find out if the bill is something that is your responsibility - it could be something that the provider had to cancel the contractual obligation, or it could be something that actually has already been paid by the company insurance. The service provider may also have additional information for you - the failed attempts that may have made to bring the claim and / or contact you before they were sent to collections, etc.

Unfortunately, your financial situation will not make much difference to your insurance company. When comes down to it, the service was covered by your policy whether or not it was ... or can not comfortably afford the service does not matter. You can get a customer service person sympathetic to the other end of the line coming out of their way to do some additional research for you at the end, but still not be able to influence the decision to pay if a claim you can not pay ... no matter how much you may feel about their situation.

He did not even bother to deal with the collection agency at this point - tell them that you are trying to resolve the debt with the service provider and prefers to deal directly with the supplier. Once you resolve the situation with the medical provider (either by getting your insurer to pay or by making payment arrangements with them), to ensure the withdrawal of the collections so you do not have to deal with these people anymore.
Related Questions
  • Answer This Question:Can I maintain and trade US brokerage account from India? I already have scottrade but going back to India.?