Which form to file: W8-BEN or W8-ECI?

Answers:0   |   LastUpdateAt:2012-08-10 18:21:02  

Asked at 2012-08-10 18:21:02
Hello ,

Not sure if I submit a W8 -BEN or W8 - ECI . My situation is this :
- Never was a U.S. citizen or resident alien
- Worked for the U.S. company in New York between June 2007- March 2008 , the F-1 visa (OPT )
- Transferred within the same company 's London office , UK, and have worked for him since then ( April 2008 - Today , May 2010 )
- They have received stock options the company every few months throughout employment, USDA - Not have had so far , but I would start now
- You have not submitted any form W8 / W9 far

I'm pretty sure I should submit either W8-BEN or W8 - ECI , but really could use some help deciding between them. :) Specifically , W8 -ECI says it is for income " effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States." Are any of my options to qualify as such, as it began to receive when I worked in the U.S.? Should I therefore submit W8 -ECI for options received in the U.S. And W8 BEN - for the rest? Or I can use W8- BEN for all of them ?

Thank you very much for any help with this! Taxation about stock trading is really beyond me ... :)


This Question:"Which form to file: W8-BEN or W8-ECI?" No answers yet. Be the first!
Related Questions
  • Answer This Question:Which form to file: W8-BEN or W8-ECI?